River Trent – Walton on Trent and Catton
The Walton stretch is approx ½ mile south of Walton village on Catton Road. The car park entrance gate is on the right (marked private) on the bend at the bottom of Borough Hill. The upper boundary fence is 200m upstream.
The lower boundary is the fence next to the road near Walton. The river here holds some very big fish with Carp, Barbel, Chub and Bream often caught plus the usual Roach, Dace and Perch. Due to the strong flow the fishing can be difficult but those who master it have good bags.
Depths vary from fast 2½’ shallows to strong 10’ deep pools providing the opportunity to fish with all methods.
As the fish are big here, this section fishes well in both winter and summer conditions. The weed can be a problem in summer causing losses, so use tackle that’s up to the job! NB We only rent the Walton bank.
There is a short gap between the Walton & Catton Stretches. There is no access between the two. NO NIGHT FISHING. You must leave one hour after sunset.
Catton Water Only
- ALWAYS LEAVE OUR LOCK CLOSED (there are two locks).
- VEHICULAR ACCESS to virtually all ‘pegs’ along the river bank, with parking behind most. Always make sure there is room for other vehicles to get by.
- There is a nearby ‘EVENTING’ field, which may cause disturbance, we can still fish but you may want to avoid 13-15th July & 23rd September.
- MATCHES may be held, and notices will be placed on the notice board.
- WE HAVE BEEN INSTRUCTED THAT ALL MEMBERS MUST STAY BY THE RIVER. NO WANDERING AROUND THE SURROUNDING LAND.
- UNDER 16 YRS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT
- No night fishing – you must leave the estate one hour after sunset.